Since it is getting close to the holidays it is important, if you are GF, to have an amazing Pie Crust Recipe. This is the best one that I have found. I like this one the best. I make it with Balance Vegan Sticks yet if you do not have to be Dairy Free Butter is always the best way to go. I will write this recipe using Butter yet please know that I have tried and think it is okay with the Vegetable Sticks.
This recipe makes one 9 inch Pie Crust.
2 cups GF All Purpose Flour (recipe in last recipe Post)
1/2 tsp Table Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
5 1/4 Tblsp Cold Unsalted Butter (cut into pieces)
1/3 cup cold vegetable shortening, (cut into pieces)
1 large egg
4 to 5 Tablespoons ice water.
1. Grease a 9 inch pie pan with a small amount of the unsalted butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder until well combined. Using a pastry blender(or two knives), or a fork if absolutely necessary, to cut in the butter and the vegetable shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 Tblsp of the water until well blended. Sprinkle over the flour mixture and toss with a fork until evenly combined. Add the remaining water, 1 Tblsp at a time, stirring until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl and it will start to come together into a ball. Shape the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Unwrap the dough and center it on a piece of waxed paper. Place another piece of waxed paper on top. Using a rolling pin start in the center and roll toward the outer edges. Roll out the dough to a uniform 1/8 inch thickness. Remove the top piece of paper and center the pie pan over the top of the dough. Moving quickly invert the pan and dough. Carefully remove the top piece of waxed paper.
5. Gently fit the dough into the pan, patching any tears. Trim the dough 1/2 inch larger than the pie plate. Fold the edge of the dough under to create a raised edge and crimp in a decorative pattern.
Chill the crust for 30 minutes before filling and then bake according to the pie recipe.
I hope you all end up enjoying this recipe as much as I do.