This weeks recipe is one that can be easily converted to non dairy. Just use your milk and cheese substitutes you like. 1:1.
QuicheEmbed from Getty Images
This recipe makes one 9 inch Pie Crust.
2 cups GF All Purpose Flour (recipe in last recipe Post)
1/2 tsp Table Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
5 1/4 Tblsp Cold Unsalted Butter (cut into pieces)
1/3 cup cold vegetable shortening, (cut into pieces)
1 large egg
4 to 5 Tablespoons ice water.
1. Grease a 9 inch pie pan with a small amount of the unsalted butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder until well combined. Using a pastry blender(or two knives), or a fork if absolutely necessary, to cut in the butter and the vegetable shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 Tblsp of the water until well blended. Sprinkle over the flour mixture and toss with a fork until evenly combined. Add the remaining water, 1 Tblsp at a time, stirring until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl and it will start to come together into a ball. Shape the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Unwrap the dough and center it on a piece of waxed paper. Place another piece of waxed paper on top. Using a rolling pin start in the center and roll toward the outer edges. Roll out the dough to a uniform 1/8 inch thickness. Remove the top piece of paper and center the pie pan over the top of the dough. Moving quickly invert the pan and dough. Carefully remove the top piece of waxed paper.
5. Gently fit the dough into the pan, patching any tears. Trim the dough 1/2 inch larger than the pie plate. Fold the edge of the dough under to create a raised edge and crimp in a decorative pattern.
Chill the crust for 30 minutes before filling and then bake according to the pie recipe.
1/2 to 1 cup shredded Cheese
1/2 Cup Filling(you can make whatever you like. I usually saute onions, red peppers, sausage or bacon). Experiment with different fillings. Sliced Tomatoes on the top works really well and adds color to your quiche.
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp Italian seasonings
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make sure to put the crust in a nine inch pie plate. Spread cheese on the bottom of the crust. Add the eggs into a bowl, beat the eggs.. Mix all the other ingredients into the eggs and pour into the crust.
Bake for 30 to 40 Minutes or until it slightly jiggles and a knife comes out clean.
Enjoy. Quiche is a fun thing to make. As far as ingredients you almost can throw any veg or chees you would like and it will come out great. Have fun use your imagination. Remember that it take experiment to come up with something great. Especially for a GF, Dairy Free, Sugar Free Diet. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!