Tender strips of beef cooked in a rich sauce, inspired by P.F. Chang’s!
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1-2 pounds beef, cut into strips (suggestion: flank steak or stir fry beef strips)
for the marinade
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (Tamari Sauce for Gluten Free)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the sauce
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup soy sauce (Tamari Sauce for Gluten Free)
- 1 cup water
- 1⅔ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water + 1½ tablespoons corn starch
- Optional: sliced green onions, sesame seeds, rice
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a smal bowl and whisk until combined. Pour into a zip-lock back with beef strips, seal and chill 1 hour or overnight.
- Drain marinade from zip-lock and set beef aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine sauce ingredients. Stir and heat over medium high heat until brown sugar has dissolved. While sauce is cooking, whisk together corn starch and water in a small bowl until corn starch is dissolved. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and stir in corn starch-water mixture. Allow sauce to thicken slightly, then remove from heat. In a large pan or skillet, cook beef strips over medium high heat until cooked through (5-8 mins) turning strips over throughout to ensure even cooking, reduce heat to medium. add ½-1 cup of sauce (depending on how “saucy” you want your beef). Stir and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Serve over rice with green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!!